Saturday, April 16, 2005

Days of ignorance / innocence

Quite unbelievable; but we, I mean our family, didn’t own a TV until I was 10 years old. Thank God for that. I am sure it was a blessing in disguise. Prior to that, I didn’t have much access to TV either. My mommy would probably let us, I mean me and my brother, watch ‘OLiyum Oliyum’ (tamil) – ‘Light and Sound’. I pity the English language for not having been able to express lucidly, the fact that it’s the light and sound that constitutes a song (read movie).

With regard to pronouncing those words: oLiyum oliyum - you should pronounce the 'L' in the first ‘oLiyum’ with the tongue curled inwards and the ventral part of the tongue touching the upper gums. The 'l' in the latter 'oliyum', with the tip of the tongue touching your upper gums.

Coming to the point, the fact being that I was not very interested in watching TV, I hardly bothered to peep into my neighbors’ small screen. Oops!!! I think I am compensating for all those that I missed during my early days – the moment I come back from office, I am all hooked up to the TV.

We got our first TV... don’t ask!! We, I mean my parents, bought a brand called ‘Pyramid’. I mean, the irony being within about 2-3 years of its existence it became extinct!!!! I shouldn’t be saying this because the very first mobile that I got – Siemens A50 – that’s about 1.5 years ago, is now a non-existent model.

So, we got our first TV – a black and white TV with no remote control and with those sturdy knobs. There were these smooth operating knobs to increase the volume, decrease or increase the brightness and contrast. Then the knobs which were hard to turn till a threshold and beyond the threshold it would rest, with a ‘click’, to its next position. The latter was to change channels, apparently.

I am all done with explaining our first TV; so let me come to the crux. So, I the Ms. Innocent, was eagerly waiting for the TV to work. Did it work? Of course, it did. Otherwise my dad would have ripped off the heart from the electrician’s rib cage!! Now, what do I see on the TV? – A commercial of the ‘pyramid’ TV. Your highness now comes up with a brilliant question – ‘Hey!!! How can our TV show an advertisement of our own TV?’

Ok!! Ok!!! I didn’t know the laws of electromagnetism then, please pardon me. I can even hear somebody comment, ‘nee chinna vaiyusilae erunthae eppadi thaana?’ which means, ‘you have been exhibiting such radiance right from that small age, is it?’

Guys, enough is enough!! Now that you have had a good laugh, I consider it responsible of me to explain myself at this juncture. Maybe I thought that if the viewers already had that brand, then why is he wasting the precious time space on air? Well... I know I was too small to think about advertising strategies then, anyway...

And then, there was one another excellent thought of mine which, people in my family had had a good laugh over it. Ok. Let me explain the background first. My mommy works for a central government organization. Saturdays are usually an off for them.

Once upon a time, when I was about 6 – 7 years of age, she said she had to go to work that Saturday also. I asked her ‘why’, for which she said, ‘Our chairman is coming today. So we all will have to be there in the office.’ I was all confused and nonchalantly asked, ‘why do you guys have to be there? It will be a trouble if you guys are there. How will he clean the chairs then?

Well well!! the folks at home, especially my brother and my mom had a good laugh and asked me ‘What?’ I answered, ‘isn’t a chairman of a company, a person who takes care of the chairs, clean them and maintain them?’

I know, i can hear people guffawing now!!! Anyway, It is justification time!!! I would have probably derived the explanation from the fact that a post man delivers the letters or a milkman who supplies milk or a cowboy who tames and rears cows. Isn’t it a logical conclusion? I know you guys would say, ‘fat chance!!!’ anyway...

Quite funny these anecdotes are, I know. But then I couldn’t help sharing my ignorance or innocence, which ever it is - you guys decide. As always altruistically yours wanted you guys to have a nice time at my virtual home – at my expense!! Hope you guys enjoyed it; as much as I did, writing it. Like how every time, when I am in public, I compensate a loud laughter with a tight, pursed-lip grin when I visualize kushboo asking janakaraj for an address with the street name nae-sa-ma-ni-ponni-ya in the movie annamalai. I can hear more laughther this time!! Way to go, people!!

15 comments:

Krish said...

So U saw Annamalai Yesterday Night is it??...and BTW, I know the issues behind the selection of channels...I think that deserves a complete post...how about a post on the quarrels for a channel???...it too would be a hilarious read..isnt it???

shantanu said...

muwahahaha
and i used to think that by wearing lakhani shoes i can walk on the walls..lolz..:D

sensiblystoned said...

Ignorance is bliss! Innocence is a greater bliss!!! Being worldly wise is what we all wanted when we were young, but now that we are here, is this what we wanted all along??!!

sensiblystoned said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
reNUka said...

krish!! - no i didnt see annamalai that day... and yeah, sure u njoyed the tiffs for the remote control between me and my brother.... :-)

shantanu - thanks for the comment... thts a nice one!!! but did u try doing it??? :D

ss - true. innocence IS greater bliss!!! and if one has the courage to exhibit/accept their ignorance, then that is where learning begins...

yeah, i still do not know if this is where we wanted to arrive...

Prabha said...

ha ha!!enna edhu renu..tch tch ;)

Baejaar said...

May be Divertimento and Aria doesnt sound good but Opus isnt bad. Atleast its easier to pronounce than "Oliyum Oliyum". I know Thamzhil is a beautiful & elegant language but mixing bits & bytes is much more simpler than dealing with la, lha, lzha.......

reNUka said...

prabha... stop sniggerring!!!! :-( every dog has its day... ;-)

vitalstatistix, good laugh!!!! :))

dheepak - i suppose u wud have done quite a lot of research for that!!! :-)

reNUka said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
REFLEX said...

Nalla irukku. Even we had a TV called Sinclaire ( P. V .Narasimha rao's son's company ) tied up with Grundig of German. Even I had so many innocent facts about TV like How people can inside this small TV and act. too much.

reNUka said...

hey reflex!!! thanks for the long due comment on my post!!! :-) hahaha... :D

S m i t h a said...

LOL... quite hilarious. thanks for the laughs!

reNUka said...

s m i t h a - thanks for the visit and the comments... happy to know that it was a laughable piece of writing... to be frank i was deceived by your name!!!! :-)

S m i t h a said...

deceived?? yeah i have heard that complaint before... but i thought u liked anagrams.
and i still havent figured out :( the partial-anagram in ur title. need one more clue, please :D pretty please?

reNUka said...

yeah - thot u were a girl/lady ;-) yeah i do like anagrams. but i like anything that is... i donno how to encompass it in one word. anyway...

'Whts in a name?' is the clue. nsoi!! :-)